Chronicles random points of time in the life of the writer. Includes lots of photos of skiing and biking. (Plus Occasional Political Stuff)

Search This Blog

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Maui and the crash

Went to Maui to ride up Mt Haleakawa like I did last year while again staying at my friend John Smay's condo in Kiehe. Went to the Aloha classic wind surfing contest on Thursday. Went for a bike rides on Saturday and Sunday. Lance and Kaye Whitney invited me (and John) over to their house Sunday night for donner which was awesome. Started biking up Mt Haleakala at 6:10AM on Monday morning. Rode up kinda slow as John had not really trained for the climb. Ride up went well. Got up there at sround 3PM. I felt like I could have done some more. There was the matter of the ride down. It was cold but I was OK as I had enough layers on. John being the more prudent person rode down st 20 to 25 MPH, Me I went down full tilt and stopped periodically to wait for John. Well when I reached the entrance to the park about a third of the way down I slowed suddenly (too suddenly) to avoid a cattle guard and went over the bars face first.

My injuries included road rash on the legs and hands,brused and chipped teeth, Broken finger ligament, severe cuts and bruses on my face. These include a badly lacerated upper lip which will require plactic surgery,broken nose, a bump and lacerations on my upper left forhead. Other than those imjuries I survived pretty much inact. No other broken bones, no brain concussions, neck and back are fine.

Andy Bavetta

Plan to fly home late tomorrow night. I will be posting all the grusome pictures as soon as I can find the requisite internet connection.

Andy Abavetta

No comments: